Transportation Worker Indentification Credential (TWIC) Cards
The United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in accordance with the U.S. Coastal Guard and Homeland Security, are implementing a program that requires background checks, finger printing identification, and photo identity on each individual employee that may have unrestricted access to secure areas in ports, vessels, etc. To obtain unescorted access the employee must have a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) card.
The majority of our customers are requiring us to obtain a TWIC card to gain access to their facility. So therefore, if it is your job requirement to gain access into our client's facilities, it will be a condition of employment that you obtain a TWIC card to work for Turnaround Welding Services. It is crucial that you begin this process ASAP because of the time frame necessary for the federal government to process these cards. If you do not obtain a TWIC card you may very well be unable to work at our job sites.
Here is some general information regarding the TWIC program and what is required:
- The fee is $132.50. (Credit Card, Money Order or Certified Check)
- Employees can fill out paperwork on line to reduce time at the sign up centers as well as schedule an appointment.
- Employees must physically go to sign up center, (usually at the city port) to show identification, provide fingerprints, take picture, and sign paperwork.
- Minimum time for TWIC card varies and can take several months to process. The individual employee is the only one allowed to pick up the TWIC card and it must be picked up from the same location.
- Once the employee receives the TWIC card, it is valid for 5 years, unless it is revoked because of a qualifying event.
- September 25th, 2008 is the deadline for TWIC compliance around the country.
TSA Help Desk: 1-866-DHS-TWIC (8942)